My one and only political post

I was home (semi) sick with Kian who had been up all night with a nasty cough. I watched parts of the ceremony, and since it was on from 9-5 it was hard to miss. Overall, I have mixed feelings about this whole thing. Some things I think are great and am inspired to see are: 1. America has elected a young(er) man for presidency for the first time in quite awhile and 2. a "minority" has been elected president.

I shy away from talking about much political things because no matter where you are or who you are with it always becomes a very heated debate. There are so many shades of gray, from one end of the spectrum to the other, in terms of beliefs, parties, etc. I wasn't thrilled with either Obama or McCain, completely. In the end, I had to vote for the one I could live with myself voting for during the next 4 years. I admire McCain but feel that Palin, while a wonderful woman, wouldn't be able to hold up the country should something happen. Maybe I'm out of the political scene, but I had never even heard Obama's name until campaign season. He just seemed like a nobody, reminded me of a used car salesman at times, good-looking, smooth-talking, something to sell. So, all in all, for me, this election was rather tedious, despite the hype.

I love how if anyone makes a comment that isn't 100% on board with Obama they are automatically a "hater". The outcome has been determined and my stance is that I am somewhat apprehensive, but if he can practice what he preaches, if he can put his "money" where his mouth is and create positive change, then that is awesome. I see some good things coming for the economy overall in the next few years. But, I also fear some things. I fear that some things will be made to benefit certain populations of people rather than America people as a whole. Personally, as a more conservative person watching marriages across the country lose their meaning, abortion rates through the roof...it's a little disheartening, as this is what some call positive change.

So, I stand in the middle and don't throw stones, but take the wait and see approach. I prefer action over words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this country would be a much better place if marriage was banned.