Thanks and giving

Yes it's that holiday, the one where we are to be thankful for all we've been blessed to have and received. And I am, truly, very thankful for many things. I'm thankful for my healthy family and jobs that provide enough, even if we don't always like them. I'm just thankful for life in general.

Sometimes we don't talk much about the giving part. Giving thanks yes, but there's more to giving. Sometimes we're thanked for our giving, sometimes not. Perhaps it's because I just heard a sermon about giving (specifically financially related) but also because I"m thinking about all the giving I've done lately. I've given a lot of myself, my family, my money, my service, my heart, my ears, my arms, so much recently. It's something I want to do and something I have to do. I know it's being asked of me and is required of me. Being a former people-pleaser I've learned to weigh what's being asked and adjust according as to not take from one to give to another, and to keep myself balanced and not overwhelmed. It's easy to get caught up in one thing and neglect the things or people you really shouldn't. There is a difference between giving without return or thanks and being a doormat.

Giving is as much for the giver as it is for the receiver. It can be hard, frustrating, annoying, draining, etc. at times to give, especially when you don't see immediate response or reward; or when there isn't a lot of appreciation shown. But, to know you are making one's life easier, their load lighter by your giving, gives you such an awesome feeling. And you just remember that your rewards are greater and for eternity.

Proverbs 11:24 One man gives freely, yet gains even more;
another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.

25 A generous man will prosper;
he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.

I'm feeling refreshed in my giving, happiness in refreshing others.

No comments: