A pasta dish---or why I love pasta

There is NOTHING you cannot do with pasta. It's endless. It's wonderful. Kevin requested lasagna for Valentine's so that's what I made. A few days ago I made another dish, off the top of my head, cuz I like that. I combine random parts of other recipes to make my own.

This one I called "Garlic Chicken Penne Pasta with peas & tomatoes in a basil parmesan sauce" Yeah I"ll have to think of something shorter. Like, good pasta.

Here's my recipe:
1 box penne
1 clove garlic mashed/minced
about 2 tbsp chopped onion
1 lb - 1.25 lbs of boneless chicken breast
about 1/2 cup peas
about 1/3- 1/2 cup tomatoes (I used grape tomatoes cut in half)
Olive oil

Sauce:
2 tbsp butter
2-3 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1tsp -or more- basil
close to 1/2 cup parmesan
3 deli slices provolone
dash ground black pepper
*I eyeball everything, I really don't use measuring cups*

While pasta was boiling, I cut the chicken into bite size pieces (about an inch or so?) sauteed them in some olive oil with the garlic and onion. Then I began my sauce. In a saucepan, on medium, I melted the butter, added a bit of salt, the basil, then the flour (a wire whisk works great here--basically making a rue to begin with). Then slowly add the milk, a little at a time, whisking it smooth and giving it time to thicken each time. When that is done, I added the provolone and parmesan (you can use any cheese instead of provolone, mozzarella is okay but tends to get very stringy, provolone melts without being too stringy). I then threw the peas and tomatoes in the sauce, but you can also put them in the chicken pan. I wanted the tomatoes warm and soft but not totally mushy. Then add the drained pasta and the chicken together. Voila!
I wish I had a picture because the pasta with the greens of the peas and reds of the tomatoes looked darn good! And it was yummy! And Kevin liked it, so that means it's good.

No comments: