It's a funny thing

I was thinking this weekend, while changing Karter's infant seat (yes the carrier one) out of the van and putting in his convertible seat (still rear facing) what I remember about being in the car when I was young...

Funny, I remember those booster seats with shields that you just put the lap belt over. Would that have really kept me from flying out? Probably not...

Funny, I remember riding in the back of an old pick up truck (like the bed with a cap) with my brother, probably age 7, with all our camping gear and coolers, while my parents and younger sister rode up front...

Funny, I remember many times riding in the back of a van with no seats, no seat belts, or switching the seats around so they were facing each other, using a cooler in between as a 'coffee/card table' of sorts. Actually, that was rear facing, we were probably safer that way, if we had our belts on...

Funny, I remember riding in the front seat very young, and always riding with a foot or leg out the window. I also drove this way with my left leg out the driver's window forever...

Funny, I still have to remember to not drive this way to this day, so I don't amputate my leg or put my children in danger...

Funny, that I survived all that eh? =) And am here to be a paranoid car seat freak. I think there's just more cars on the road and worse drivers, which makes us want to keep our kids safer. Good thing I grew up in the country, funny thing is, we still drive in the middle of the road there...


No comments: